Is the root cause of inflammation a “foreign invader” like a parasite or a food allergy? Is it dysbiosis in our gut or a bacterial overgrowth? Is it our own body fighting itself like in an autoimmune disorder? Why is our body feeling like it’s under attack?
If you’re experiencing inflammation, thank your body for protecting you. Inflammation is like experiencing a fever to help relieve the excess heat in our body to fight an infection. In other words, inflammation is a good thing. The idea is to discover the root cause… What caused our system the need to protect itself? We should direct our attention to calming our system and finding the root cause and not masking the symptom.
What can help reduce or eliminate inflammation?
- Alcohol, sugar, caffeine, gluten all create inflammation in our body. Start weening down and consume more foods for healing rather than hurting.
- Avoid all artificial foods like trans-fats, artificial sweeteners, toxic pesticides, and preservatives.
- Eat a diet, mostly of vegetables. A variety is best… especially cruciferous vegetables and leafy greens.
- Drink lots of water. Start going for more water instead of juice, coffee, tea, alcohol.
- Get a test for food sensitivities. The most common categories are gluten, dairy, corn, soy, eggs, yeast, and (especially for arthritis!) nightshade vegetables (includes tobacco, peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, and eggplant).
- Ask your health care provider about supplementing with Meriva Curcumin, a wonderful natural anti-inflammatory… more effective than NSAID and without all the damage to your gut.
- Omega-3 essential fatty acids. Yes, yet another benefit of fish oil or cod liver oil as a regular supplement because of its anti-inflammatory effects! Make absolutely sure it’s a heavy-metal-free brand (e.g. Metagenics, Nordic Naturals, Carlsons, Blue Ice). Please be sure to consult your health care provider about this, as well.